Sunday, July 17, 2011

Little Purse

Little Purse by ippuv
I found a sample piece in Marimekko store a few weeks ago; a purple and off-white upholstery fabric, measuring 30 cm x 90 cm. It cost only 2 Euro, so I couldn't let it be. My idea was to make a little purse out of it, and here's the result.

I used almost all of the fabric, what remained was a tiny patch measuring 7 cm x 3 cm! I drew the pattern myself, and it's actually really simple if you measure the pieces carefully. You need two long strips for the straps (one of them is split into two for the zipper), and two larger pieces for the sides. Sewing was a bit more complicated due to the fraying fabric. If I did it all over again, I'd start with the serger and sew around all the pieces before starting to sew them together.

A visit to Marimekko's factory outlet was also scheduled for this week. I knew I was in trouble as soon as I saw the huge bags full of striped knit, costing only 12 Euro! (When I got home, I put the bag on scale, and it weighed more than six kilos - all that knit for almost nothing.) And then things got completely out of hand: a big selection of knits, rain cloth, wax cloth and lots of other things for 6 Euro per meter. I had two really big bags in my hands when I finally made my way out, and didn't even have the car with me ;) So, what you're going to see is a lot of Marimekko clothing in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment